The Singular Door

The Singular Door is a passage - a means of entrance - where, as C.S. Lewis said, "The inside is bigger than the outside." Since all doors lead somewhere, a singular door leads to a singular place, where the beginning and end meet, where God is. Come on in!

Name:
Location: Columbia, Maryland, United States

I believe the church is the extension of Jesus' body on earth. To be a Christian is to be a revolutionary - to see the world as God does, and to be an agent of change, seeking to care for the earth, to make the world a better place to live, to bring all people together in harmony, and to care for the weak. To be a Christian is to know God the Father and Jesus His Son and to accept the grace and love offered through the death and resurrection of Jesus. Jesus is the singular door. Come on in!

Thursday, June 21, 2007

CHURCH GROWTH,

the term which brings delight to the eyes of churches which are growing and fear and trembling to those who aren't. To Pastors and ministers it can determine one's future - "We like you and think you have made a significant contribution to our church, but we want someone who can help our church grow!" - or be instrumental in obtaining a ministry position - "We want someone with experience in church growth."

Yes, I am always happy when a church is growing, bringing people into the kingdom, expanding their numbers, and experiencing "success." Who wouldn't be? And when I see this happening, as we all do, I ask how and why is that happening there? And then books are written about what worked for that church and seminars are conducted by the leaders of those churches and hundreds (thousands) of churches and church leaders seek to follow the patterns so they too can grow. Sometimes it works, but mostly the success is moderate at best. And so I and others wait for the next round of church growth seminars for new ideas and new approaches to outreach.

But, and you knew a "but" was coming, then I consider the vast numbers of churches and ministers and pastors (the overwhelming majority) who serve faithfully for years with little "numerical growth" and I ask, "Have they failed?" If a successful church is a growing church, then doesn't it follow that a church which is not growing is failing! Woe is me!

Question? What do you think God thinks of all this? Is there any place in the New Testament where God talks about church growth? How to become a 1000 member church! How to win people for the kingdom! How to have a dynamic this or a powerful that!

Even when I read the book of Acts, it seems to me that the overall impact of the growth of the early church in Jerusalem and the "success" of the missionary enterprises of Paul and others is one of surprise! Wow, look at what God is doing! People are listening to our message and are coming to believe in Jesus! AND, not only are Jews listening and joining, but so are Gentiles! Who would have thought it possible.

It seems to me that it is all in God's hands. (I Cor. 3:6 = "I planted, Apollos, but God caused the growth.") Just like I don't understand why some children die young, or why a tornado hits this house and not that one, or why one person believes the gospel but another doesn't, so also I don't understand why one church grows and another doesn't.

Maybe God wants it that way. Maybe if I try so hard to figure out what works, I come to believe (although I would never say it out loud) that it is through MY EFFORTS that success has come. (I must say in all honesty at this point, that most of the leaders of these successful churches KNOW it was God who did the work and not them.) Yet, church leaders everywhere are looking for the right formula, the correct combination of prayer and program, and the creative method that works.

If I believe God is the Lord of His Church, if I believe that only God can change a heart, if I know that what God wants of me is faithfulness, not success, and if I am committed to being the man (woman, minister, pastor, leader, or just a Christian) God wants me to be, then maybe I can leave the results in His Hands and trust that He is still at work, even if my own little corner of the kingdom seems small and ineffectual.

I am not excusing laziness nor am I opting for a laissez faire attitude. I should be creative. I should look at what is happening elsewhere to get ideas as to how God can work through me and my church. But that should never replace the old idea of seeking the Lord and following in the way He leads.

Maybe if I stop focussing on church growth and start focussing on my relationship with and obedience to God, maybe I could come to realize that God is using me and my church in ways I may never know and trust that growth is happening, just maybe not in the way I would want.

What do you think?

Charlie

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home