The Singular Door

The Singular Door is a passage - a means of entrance - where, as C.S. Lewis said, "The inside is bigger than the outside." Since all doors lead somewhere, a singular door leads to a singular place, where the beginning and end meet, where God is. Come on in!

Name:
Location: Columbia, Maryland, United States

I believe the church is the extension of Jesus' body on earth. To be a Christian is to be a revolutionary - to see the world as God does, and to be an agent of change, seeking to care for the earth, to make the world a better place to live, to bring all people together in harmony, and to care for the weak. To be a Christian is to know God the Father and Jesus His Son and to accept the grace and love offered through the death and resurrection of Jesus. Jesus is the singular door. Come on in!

Monday, July 02, 2007

Freedom is an illusion.

I found this quote from a Russian writer, at least his name is Russian, Leonid Sukhorukov, while looking for material for a message on freedom vs. slavery. When I shared the quote with a group of college age adults, they didn't agree, mainly because they wanted a definition of "freedom." Silly kids, they wanted to put the statement in some context, not just a generalization. Here I was being philosophical and profound and they wanted to challenge my idea.

(This younger generation can give us old folks fits, especially when they act and talk like we did when we were younger.)

Anyway, this got me to thinking - the very thing I was trying to accomplish with my class. How do I understand what it means to be free? Are there different answers at different times in history or in different contexts? Who is free and who isn't and how do I distinguish between, say, freedom and slavery?

Then I thought about the 4th of July, the celebration of our nation's independence from England and the "birth of freedom." We honor those who have gone before us and especially those who wrote our Declaration of Independence, Constitution, and Bill of Rights. We believe that all nations and peoples would benefit from what we have and so we promote and defend freedom, or at least our expression and experience of it, around the world. But again I ask, "Who is free?"

Are black people (and others of color) free because the laws say so?
Was Galileo free? Was Alexander Solshenitsyn free? Was Dietrich Bonhoeffer free? Am I free?
What about you?

From a novel by Lisa Gardner comes the following quote: "People who think they are in control of their lives, just aren't paying attention."

Actually, I do agree with the first statement I made at the beginning; freedom is an illusion.

When I married, I gave up some freedom and became a slave to my wife. No, I don't mean what you think I mean. Read on! When I became a father, I gave up some freedom and became a slave to my children. When I became an employee, I gave up some freedom and became a slave to my job. When I live in a society, I give up some freedom and becoame a slave of my culture. etc. etc. etc.

If you are wealthy, you are still enslaved to your wealth. If you are poor, you are enslaved either to your poverty or to your drive to obtain wealth. And, of course, the Bible says that all people, everywhere and of every age are enslaved to sin and to the fear of death.

So are we free or are we slaves? I suggest that all of us are slaves until we meet the Father and Jesus Christ who gives the Holy Spirit to us. (I hope you expected that!)

Only in Jesus Christ can we be "Free at last, free at last, thank God almighty I am free at last!" I think, Martin Luther King Jr., knew exactly what it means to be free and his freedom wasn't social or economic or political. He was free because Jesus had made him free. A person who is and knows he or she is free is a powerful force. You and I can be free in this same way.

Because when Jesus Christ sets you free, you are free indeed. (John 8) When we have been delivered from the the slavery to sin and from the fear of death, what can enslave us? Paul did some of his best work from a Roman prison! Christians have died gladly in each century since Jesus time because they are free from earthly concerns.

Now, I know that most people in the world - outside of the church - think they are free. I think they are living in the illusion of freedom all the while they are enslaved to their wants and desires.

Maybe you haven't taken Jesus and the gospel seriously enough to see yourself as truly free. Maybe you should think about it?

What do you think? Are you free? Do you want to be?

Charlie

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home